Steven R. Abel
Professor of Pharmacy Practice
1978 PharmD, Purdue University
1976 BS, Pharmacy, Purdue University
Professor Abel's research history includes development, implementation, and evaluation of progressive pharmaceutical services in organized health systems. He has extensive expertise in tracking the types and frequency of clinical services provided in different health-system practice models. Professor Abel also has experience with strategies to optimize medication use, medication safety, and ocular pharmacology.
Professor Abel’s recent research is focused in two areas. The first is use of simulation to enhance student learning. As founder and CEO of Penguin Innovations, LLC, Professor Abel and his colleagues have created an online learning platform for the preparation of parenteral medications. The Penguin Innovations virtual cleanroom currently includes a library of 68 individual medications including hazardous compounds.
The second focuses on the scholarship of engagement. Professor Abel works with faculty, college, and university administrators to facilitate the documentation and assessment of the scholarship of engagement as a means for faculty recognition and advancement.
PHRM 100, Pharmacy Orientation
PHRM 825, Integrated Pharmacotherapy I
PHRM 849, Population Health Management
PHRM 865, Integrated Pharmacotherapy V
PHRM 867, Introduction to APPE
PHRM 821, 861, Professional Program Laboratories
PHRM 869, Practice Management and Marketing
PHRM 880, Purdue APPE Rotation
CLPH 490, Senior Professional Seminar
PHAD 464, Management of Professional Practice
PHPR 313, Introduction to Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Care
Honors and Credentials
Best Mentor, PharmD Class of 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010
John Wooden Award for Most Supportive Professor
Innovations in Teaching Award
Who’s Who in Pharmaceutical Sciences Education
1. Berkelaar, B., Davenport, BL., Abel, S.R., Cox, M.L., Reed, T.: Developing a certificate program for engineering faculty as leaders of academic change. (in progress)
2. Smith, K.N., Vila-Parrish, A.R., Ivy, J.S., Abel, S.R.: A simulation approach for evaluating medication supply chain structures. Intl J Systems Sci: Operations and Logistics. Article first published online: 22 JAN 2016. doi: 10.1080/23302674.2015.1135355.
3. vonWaldner, TJ, Abel, SR. Achieving and measuring patient satisfaction. In: Chisholm-Burns MA, Vaillancourt AM, Shepherd M, eds. Pharmacy Management, Leadership, Marketing and Finance. Boston, MA: Jones and Bartlett, 2014.
4. Abel, S.R., Intrevado, P, Ozsen, L. Inpatient pharmacy operations: An interprofessional literature review. Am Health-Syst Pharm 70:989-996, 2013.
5. Evoy, K.E., Abel, S.R. Ranibizumab: The First Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Inhibitor Approved for the Treatment of Diabetic Macular Edema. Ann Pharmacother 47;811-818, 2013.
6. Evoy, K.E., Abel, S.R. Aflibercept: Newly Approved for the Treatment of Macular Edema Following Central Retinal Vein Occlusion. Ann Pharmacother 47:819-827, 2013.
7. Vila Parrish AM, Ivy J, Abel, S.R.: Patient-based pharmaceutical inventory management – A two-stage inventory and production model for perishable products with Markovian Demand. Health Systems 1:69-83, 2012.
8. Tian, R., Lee, B. C., Yucel, G., Abel, S.R., Hultgren, K. E., Duffy, V. G., Evaluating Bar Coding-aided Medication Administration through Identification of Nursing Work Deficiencies. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service Industries. Article first published online: 25 JUN 2012. doi: 10.1002/hfm.20397.
9. Sheehan, A.H., Beckett, R.D., Abel, S.R.: Professional communications. In: Remington, The Science and Practice of Pharmacy 21st ed. Baltimore: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, 2012.
10. Patel, S., Vincent, A.H.., Abel, S.R., Jacobs, C.M.: Virtual cleanroom: the answer to essential hands-on training. Am J Pharmaceut Ed 75(1) Article 7: 1-7, 2011.