David R. Foster
Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine, Indiana University
1999 PharmD, Wayne State University
1997 BSc, Pharmacy, Wayne State University
1994 BSc, Biology, University of Windsor
Dr. Foster's research interests are focused on using epidemiologic approaches to improve drug safety in critically ill patients and other populations. Current research includes using health information exchanges to evaluate and improve the safety of opioids. Other interests include the study of the contribution of active transport processes to variability in drug disposition in a number of patient populations. Dr. Foster's clinical interests are focused on the provision of pharmacotherapy to critically-ill patients, with an emphasis on burn and trauma patients.
Dr. Foster is a member of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, the Society of Critical Care Medicine, the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, and the Indiana College of Clinical Pharmacy. Dr. Foster is an elected fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
PHRM 848, Principles of Drug Information and Literature Evaluation
PHRM 864, Integrated Pharmacotherapy IV
PHRM 820, 821, 840, 841, 860, 861, Professional Program Laboratory I-VI
PHRM 880, Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience
CLPH 696, Graduate Seminar
Honors and Credentials
Purdue University Faculty Fellow for Study in a Second Discipline (Public Health)
Southern Region Burn Conference, Best Non-Physician Paper
Elected Fellow, American College of Clinical Pharmacy
American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences Meritorious Manuscript Award
American College of Clinical Pharmacy Spring Practice and Research Forum, First runner-up, Best Resident/Fellow Paper Award
American College of Clinical Pharmacy Spring Practice and Research Forum, First runner-up, Best Poster Award
American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting Best Student/Resident/Fellow Paper Award
- Udayachalerm S, Bair MJ, Illingworth Plake KS, Huang CY, Murray MD, Foster DR. Opioid prescribing and health outcomes in opioid-naive patients: Analysis of a statewide health information exchange. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2021; S1544-3191(21)00180-1.
- Cox CL, McIntire AM, Bolton KJ, Foster DR, Fritschle AC, Harris SA, Pape KO, Whitten JA, Harman BC, Sood R, Walroth TA. A Multicenter Evaluation of Outcomes Following the Use of Nebulized Heparin for Inhalation Injury (HIHI2 Study). J Burn Care Res. 2020; 41:1004-1008.
- Boyd AN, Blair ME, Degenkolb KE, Foster DR, Hartman BC, Sood R, Walroth TA. A prospective analysis describing the innovative use of liposomal bupivacaine in burn patients. Burns. 2020;370-376.
- McIntyre AM, Harris SA, Whitten JA, Fritschle-Hilliard AC, Foster DR, Walroth TA. Outcomes following the use of nebulized heparin for inhalation injury (HIHI Study). J Burn Care Res. 2017;38:45-52.
- Nader AM, Quinney SK, Fadda HM, Foster DR. Effect of gastric fluid volume on the in vitro dissolution and in vivo absorption of BCS Class II drugs: a case study with nifedipine. AAPS J. 2016. 18: 981. doi:10.1208/s12248-016-9918-x.
- Kanji S, Hayes M, Ling A, Shamseer L, Chant C, Edwards DJ, Edwards S, Ensom MH, Foster DR, Hardy B, Kiser TH, la Porte C, Roberts JA, Shulman R, Walker S, Zelenitsky S, Moher D. Reporting Guidelines for Clinical Pharmacokinetic Studies: The ClinPK Statement. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2015;54:783-95.
- Carter BL, Damer KM, Walroth TA, Buening NR, Foster DR, Sood R. A Systematic Review of Vancomycin Dosing and Monitoring in Burn Patients. J Burn Care Res. 2015;36:641-650.
- Pergolizzi JV, Ma L, Foster DR, Overholser BR, Sowinski KM, Taylor R, Summers KH. The prevalence of opioid-related major potential drug-drug interactions and their impact on healthcare costs in chronic pain patients. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy. 2014;20:467-476.
- Nader AM and Foster DR. Suitability of digoxin as a P-glycoprotein probe: implications of other transporters on sensitivity and specificity. The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2014;54:3-13.
- Overholser BR and Foster DR. Improving Outcomes with Opioid Use: Focus on Pharmacokinetic Drug-Drug Interactions. The American Journal of Managed Care. 2011;17:S276-S287.
- Overholser BR, Foster DR, Henry JR, Plake KS, Sowinski KM. Development and assessment of an introductory clinical research course delivered as an elective in a Doctor of Pharmacy curriculum. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2010;74:9;165.
- Lat I, Foster DR, Erstad B. Drug-induced acute liver failure and gastrointestinal complications. Critical Care Medicine. 2010;38: 6 (suppl): S175-S187.
- Foster DR, Gonzales JP, Amidon GL, Welage LS. Intestinal dipeptide absorption is preserved during thermal injury and cytokine treatment. JPEN: Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2009;33:520-528.